Monday, February 28, 2011

Bernard

So I met this new security guard at my place when I arrived on Friday. His name is Bernard (pronounced Bur-nard) and I think that he deserves a mention.

On Friday night, there was a huge party at the courtyard. Some end-of-0rientation thing. And when I walked back from 7-11 and entered my building, I was stopped by Bernard. Just so unfortunately, I was holding on to a temp card key as they changed all the keys after one semester and I've yet to receive mine. So there he was, suspecting that the temp card key was not genuine. Thereafter, he proceeded to look through the list of residents. Again, my face and name were not updated in the list yet. So I was explaining to him that I've just moved in and everything has not been settled yet. After some comtemplation he said, "Okay, you seem to be speaking the truth. I trust you. You're a good man." Boy, was I glad. Didn't want to go through all the trouble on my first day here just to get into my room.

Subsequently, I met him again last night standing right at the entrance of the building. And we initiated a conversation. I commented that he's very on his job and that previous security guards aren't like him. They slack off in some random corner after a while, not to mention even appearing at 4am in the morning. Bernard then said that this is his job, and he wants to keep people safe. In any case, residents should feel safe when he's around because he will make sure that no strangers or troublemakers hang around in the premises. He cannot tolerate that. And then we went on to talk about life in general. He said stuff like how we must always know our weaknesses but show our strength. In life, we didn't sign a contract to say that okay, I'm gonna be Bernard or I'm gonna be Andy. We're given this life we have and it's up to us to make the best of it. Wheelchair-bound people and the unfortunate didn't choose their lives as well. Therefore, he felt that he would always want to help people and keep them safe. And I gave him a few words of appreciation and he replied saying that as long as people do appreciate him doing his job he's very happy, that is also what keeps him going.

Midway through the conversation, I felt that he's very genuine and noble. A very different feeling I get from the initial 'big burly fierce' security guard impression. And I was thankful that we had this conversation, because things like that make you learn.

"When a door closes on you, a new one opens. Life has many opportunities and so much in store. I can tell that you're a good man. I'm a guard, I can read people fairly well. Maybe you won't get what you want now but it takes time and in future people will realise the good you have in you, and things will come back to you. But maybe by then you would have found something else even better for yourself. Always come out stronger than what you were before. And be true to yourself."

Dear Diary,

Today, I made friends with a security guard.

No comments:

Post a Comment