Saturday, July 31, 2010

Green, White, Red & The Golden Eagle

So, my Mexican roommate finally moved in on Thursday. His name is Noe (No-ay), I was half expecting a Javier Hernandez, Giovani dos Santos or Rafael Marquez or something. And no, no curly moustache, sombrero, colourful clothes or guitar. He's 32, and taking his Phd at a Medical Institute just behind The Royal Melbourne Hospital and he'll be in Melbourne for a year.

He's a pretty nice guy, very friendly and all. He can't speak English very well though, but still comprehensible in our communication. And every time he has difficulty finding the correct English word, he'll add in a sound effect 'te-de-de' prior to saying the word out. On Thursday after he moved in and settled down, he took out a picture of his girlfriend and showed it to me.

Noe: Hey Andy, do you have a girlfriend? This is my girlfriend.
Me: Oh, she's very pretty. Is she in Mexico?
Noe: Ya, she's working in another state in Mexico.
-after a brief pause-
Noe: She's waiting for me. (followed by a smile)
Me: Aww, so nice and sweet!
Noe: I hope you get one too, erm.. next week. (laughs)

Noe loves eating and food a lot. He went out today and came back filling up the whole of our refrigerator with food. And he offered me eggs, bread and all. He cooked steak just now and asked if I would like to try some. The steak that he made looked absolutely good and smelled just as great. I guess I could pick up some culinary skills from him in future. And I'm kind of suspecting Noe wants to make us some breakfast tomorrow morning because he was asking what time I'll be waking up.

On a side note, I offered him my extra blanket seeing how inadequate he was when he moved in. No pillows no blankets. You just can't help but to feel a sense of benevolence, especially when the person involved is your roommate and a friend. He was very thankful, laughing at how cold it is at night.

So anyway, Noe's steak inspired me to finally cook my own pasta. Yes, finally because Joyce and Charmaine both do not believe that I'll be cooking my pasta that's lying in my refrigerator anytime soon. Here's a picture.

Fusilli Carbonara with Chicken, Crabstick & Fish Tofu.
Proudly Presented by Chef Andy. :)

Noe and I had a nice chat over dinner. We talked about Singapore, Mexico, our countries' climate and food, soccer, gym, conscription in Singapore (he was so fascinated and to quote him, "In Mexico, you can say No, Thank You".), what we are studying, Asians he met, Asians in Melbourne, languages I speak, Spanish (he says that my basic Spanish is pretty good, and I would improve in the next few months with his guidance), etc.

Very nice light-hearted chat. And at the end of it he said, "Oh, I'm getting hungry again." Then he started bursting out in laughter.

Well I guess I'm quite glad that I can get along well with Noe. And we're both food lovers. That's a plus point, I suppose?

Till next time.

EDIT:

There's really breakfast this morning! Thank you Noe! Hahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment